1. Happy birthday (yesterday) to coffeeem
and to matociquala
's Giant Ridiculous Dog!
2. My second Ellery Queen post is up at tor-dot-com, here
3. Yesterday, heresluck
and I braved the winterness of Wisconsin to go bookstore trolling. I picked up cmpriest
to give as xmas gifts (having given h.l. our extra copy of Boneshaker
--I am flinging the steampunk zombies far and wide this holiday season), and had excellent book-fu on my own account:
- Cohen, Patricia Cline. The Murder of Helen Jewett: The Life and Death of a Prostitute in Nineteenth-Century New York (I'm hoping this will be more the book I wanted The Mysterious Death of Mary Rogers to be).
- Godbeer, Richard. The Devil's Dominion: Magic and Religion in Early New England.
- Kater, Michael H. Hitler Youth.
- Sigmund, Anna Maria. Women of the Third Reich (not quite as exciting as if I'd found Jill Stephenson's Women in Nazi Germany, but still).
4. There's even more winter over in Minnesota
5. When I was buying Boneshaker
, the owner of A Room of One's Own
did a double-take at my check and said, "Are you Sarah Monette the science fiction writer?" And when I agreed that I was, she said, "Are they going to put your books out again? Because I get a lot of people asking about them." And I told her about the rights and my plan to find a small press, and she mentioned the TOTALLY INSANE prices The Virtu
is going for on eBay, and so on.
I've had conversations like that with booksellers before, but they've always been in-genre (Dreamhaven
, Larry Smith
, etc.). So having the conversation again with someone who sells all
kinds of books feels like, in the middle of a lot of discouragement about my career, a kind of encouraging milestone.